Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Songs of the week

I find far too often, as a member of our constantly changing society that our civilizations obsession with speed and updates has greatly impacted my ability to love a song. It has become so easy to put music out there (hell even I do it) for everyone to hear that we either get wrapped up in a pile of main stream Top 40 songs, or pushed under the rug with our underground groups that we oh so hiply discovered first (along with about 2 million other people).

However, despite my cynicism and regardless of your particular genre of choice- these are the songs I'm obsessed with this week


                                                        KENDRICK LAMAR- A.D.H.D



Lamar is the buzz on everyone in the rap worlds mind, of course any one who sits court side with 
Dr. Dre gets a little media coverage, but Lamar doesn't spit out your typical "angry at the world, but watch me get at this bitch" lines, he puts a little more thought beyond the rhymes, women, and drugs (apparently he doesn't smoke weed despite the rasp in his voice that sounds like he just took a massive hit and came out with a prolific statement).

So a few months ago I came across a name in the record store I hadn't seen since the early 2000's.
Yes, that Liz Phair.
(Wouldn't have known she wasn't just a one-hit wonder if I had been born before '92 Liz Phair)
I innocently had asked my parents for the album with Why Can't I when I was young, unknowningly requesting a far dirtier than I had realized gift from my Mother, and since she's my Mom, and not some lame parent who read the explicit warning and stunted my creative growth-she spawned my interest in awkwardly bold girl rock. 
I'm in love with the Exile In Guyville 15th anniversary re-release album, the packaging is great and really worthy of a whole post on it's own, not only did it come with 3 vinyls, there was a CD, not just a one time only mp3 download that doesn't even work. (thank you she wants revenge) 
so without further delay, here's my favorite song off the album, which you can buy by clicking here



Last but not least, the artist I'm most obsessed with all the time...


myself.
yeah, at least I admit my egotism. Lately I've been experimenting with GarageBand, but the thing with that is I'm no good with a camera so the songs with multiple tracks that are just mp3's sitting in my hard drive right now don't have videos, so they're not on YouTube just yet
Check me out any way, this song is called Humingbird Heart and like the majority of my other songs it was inspired by some douchey former lover.



4 comments: