Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Grandfathers Music Suggestion

Unlike many nineteen year olds, when my Grandfather offers his musical opinion, I listen, so when he pulled me aside at a family get together to inform me of his latest discovery I was excited to learn it was that of London based folk artist Laura Marling. Her most recent album dropped on my birthday last year September 12, 2011, titled "A Creature I Don't Know". The songs draw from heavy folk influences, and the sound is comparable to Joni Mitchell, one could call it fresh yet nostalgic, there is a pinch of familiarity about the songs and the quality of her strong but flighty voice, however while they are familiar, the songs are not trite. Of course, after a brief YouTube excursion it was clear I needed to make a trip to my local record store and purchase the LP- I have to say I have no complaints about my purchase, but I am faintly disappointed because my favorite song of hers is on the "My Manic and I EP" and titled New Romantic, but it has mysteriously vanished from the internet.
                                                  
                                                   And of course, my favorite of Marling's
                                                        Laura Marling- New Romantic

                                and be sure to check out her website for a discography and news!
                                                                      lauramarling.com


2 comments:

  1. Your grandfather has great taste in music :) If he likes likes unique voices and artists from England I'd suggest Ellie Goulding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check her out thanks : )

    ReplyDelete